Monday, June 22, 2009

Trained and Ready: Colorado National Guard Troops Off To Iraq



The sights. The sounds. It all seemed so real. And that is exactly what the Army strives for during Combat Readiness Exercises in Ft. Hood, Texas.

"We train how we fight," Lt. Col. Morris tells me as soldiers sprawl out across this huge military installation, training for missions in Iraq. "The harder we train them, the less complaining I get," he adds.

Not since WWII has the Colorado National Guard seen this big of a deployment.

And this is why I find myself in the hellish heat of Texas. I make the joke before landing that it even looks hot. I was informed later that we were there on a "cool" day. I would hate to see the sweat stains on a hot day.

The troops now have a few days of leave before embarking on a 10-month stint in the desert of western Iraq. I realize rather quick that I am photographing only a portion of their training and I long for more time. Not for myself, but for the people back home. I'm certain those loved ones were desperately wondering what living and training is like for soldiers in this hot and dusty place.

In the coming weeks these same soldiers will be in another hot and dusty place. Only this time the sights and sounds will be real. While we may not all agree on the war or the decisions being made, we must not forget that these soldiers and their families are our neighbors and they deserve support back home.

3 comments:

janel said...

Thanks for the great capture. Wish the TC would have linked your blog. Your work is always stellar.
Thanks again.

JL said...

Nice work Josh, as always. Keep it going.

I'm sure these troops as well as many others will see the respect and dignity you give your subjects.

Anonymous said...

That was awesome Josh. Nice work!