Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sweet, Sweet, Sweet

20090723_TACTICAL_RESCUE_TRAINING

I sit here wondering how many people know that the run-down sugar mill on the east edge of Longmont, Coloardo is still semi-operational. An editor on the desk tonight just asked why my photo looks so clean, because if you've seen the building, cleanliness is totally unexpected.

In fact, eight silos are still used to store sugar. Sweet. Every so often people have to get in the massive structures to clean. Sweet job, huh? Needless to say, injury could occur, (not so sweet) even to the best of the certified sugar cleaners. They should call that guy from the Dirty Jobs show. This would be sweet.

Anyway, the Longmont Fire Department's technical rescue team was there to practice today and one of the guys called me up to see if I wanted to tag along. A pretty sweet gig to photograph.

After a few hours of photographing through a really tiny hole, I was certain that if I fell off the "man mover," a vertical conveyor belt running a hundred feet up, that I was in good hands. This spurs another thought: A woman in our human resources office always says she doesn't want to know the "dangerous" things we do for photos. Some of these things she doesn't like? Flying in open helicopters, hanging your head out of a plane windows, watching live fire exercises, wading through floods, you know all the sweet things I've done. I'm pretty sure I won't be telling her about the "man mover," even though it was pretty sweet. I want one in my house...that would be freakin' sweet.

20090723_TACTICAL_RESCUE_TRAINING

20090723_TACTICAL_RESCUE_TRAINING

20090723_TACTICAL_RESCUE_TRAINING

20090723_TACTICAL_RESCUE_TRAINING

20090723_TACTICAL_RESCUE_TRAINING

20090723_TACTICAL_RESCUE_TRAINING

5 comments:

JL said...

Sweeeeet!

Nice work Mr. Buck. Glad you're still enjoying that Golden Ticket. I surely miss that day-to-day adventure. Keep it rolling...

Anonymous said...

Solid, Buck. I love how you tell equally compelling stories with your photos and writing.

Scott Noakes said...

Nice job, thanks for hanging out with us yesterday

Joshua Duplechian said...

Looks like a good time man. Keep it up bro.

Unknown said...

Worked in L-Town for 6 years and I never knew the sugar mill was still working...I figured it was used for something since you see cars there, but your photos were, as always, awesome!